Monday, March 30, 2020

Where should I take my blog?

This question is going to like...two different directions. And it's going to be long but it's full of brain ramblings that I can no longer cut down from when I started. Please bear with me!

1. What other types of content should I have on my blog other than book reviews a few life updates.
AND
2. I know I want to move my blog off of Blogger (sorry blogger) but don't know where to take it.


I know I made a post about this before, but it was a while ago and I never did anything about it then, and with a quarantine and state lockdown keeping me from going to work, I think it's time to expand myself.

Let's start with the second topic first as that will be smaller

Where should I move my blog?


I have talk to numerous people I trust, looked at different blogs of people that I follow, and have also read a bunch of articles and watched youtube videos on which of the two site builders I'm looking at is best for me. Wix or Wordpress.

Many people I know and many blogs I follow are on Wordpress, and I know a lot of websites use it as well, so that's why I've always thought about moving my blog to there. But then I remembered about Wix and decided to see where they differed and if it would be the same.

Wix seems easier to use, many temples, I don't really have to know HTML to use it (though I've always wanted to learn it for some reason) and is a bit cheaper. Whereas Wordpress has uses (or more encourages) HTML knowledge and has so many widgets/plugins that I would want. I wasn't able to see what kind of plugins and add-ons Wix would have had.

I know it's weird for me to want a website rather than a blog but...I am also wanted to expand myself. I would want a place to showcase the things I have done. My books, pieces I create, and more. So more of a personal website than just having a blog is what I'm going for. So for something like that, where I could have different tabs/pages for my books, my blog, an about me page, and contact page; maybe even a shop page should I ever make things to sell or get famous enough for merchandise.

For ease I think Wix would be best for me, but I know Wordpress from friends and from my university. I had my professional portfolio on Wordpress for school and perhaps I could add that as well to my website.

I'm really at a loss here. Because while I was dead-set on starting out on Wordpress, now I'm not so sure. It's possible that because COVID-19 is swarming (STAY HOME UNLESS YOU REALLY CAN'T!!) my depression is getting...a little bad....and I am scared of making a decision and scared to put myself out there more.

*as I wrote this I got an add trash talking Wordpress...it was for Duda, and then another for fiverr...but I have never heard of them before in my life so I don't think I'm going to even think about those.

Now let's move on to the next topic

What type of content should I create/add to my blog?


So, at the moment on this blog I have life updates, book reviews, and other bookish topics. And I love these posts as well, so I won't be taking them away, but I want to know (so this is more of a suggestions question) what stuff would you want to see?

I've also had, and still do have, so many different interests. Other things that I like are colorguard and sewing (I've just started but I plan to do more soon), also YouTube videos and stuff.

Speaking of YouTube, I've made videos on there before, and I loved making them whether they were for school or personal, and wanted to make more. So that's another thing that's pulling me in a weird direction. There have always been so many things I wanted to create and do, but a fear of putting them and myself out there. One of my big follows on YouTube are game videos. And I've even (at the time of writing this) have recorded and started working on editing a video of me playing Webkinz while a little intoxicated. And while there's a little sound problems in it...I'll probably still post it.

Ever since I left high school I wanted to make videos of colorguard routines and the like, but I didn't think my skill was enough. Granted I also know that the more I work at something the better I become...so I really think it's only fear that's stopping me. It's like I have too many interests and I can't pin one down. I know it's okay to have multiple interests...but sometimes I feel like I have too many.

I wonder what else I could do on YouTube because I've always wanted to do just everything and anything, as my account currently is with a mix of personal and educational videos. And I want to continue with that. And my Monica Abroad/Monica Travels series is something I 100% still want to pursue.

Maybe my main issue is I need to get different tools to make videos and better graphics for this blog.



I guess a question I have for all of you that have read this all, or know me personally:

What advice or suggestions do you possibly have for me and where do you think I should head towards with my blog (Wordpress or Wix)?


Thank you all for reading this and suffering through my ramblings. I have a few reviews coming up soon so if you like those from me get ready! If anything I wrote up in this post confuses you, please let me know and I can restate it/reword it to the best of my ability!

À bientôt!

Photo/Gif creds: Tom Hanks,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...