Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Oedipus Cycle by Sophocles

I don't remember when I got this book, but it hasn't been on my shelf as long as some of the others that I have on my TBR. I had always had a fascination for Greek mythology and am a (not heavily active but want to change that in the future when my life is more stable) hellenic pagan. I've just always loved the stories and drama because people really couldn't get out of their own way to realize RUNNING FROM YOUR FATE WILL ONLY BRING IT SOONER! *enter Merida as a Disney reference*

Like many other people, I have heard of Oedipus, the basic story, and how so many people talk about the Oedipus complex. But, I find the ACTUAL story of Oedipus so far from the 'complex' that most people talk about. He didn't even know it was his mother because no one told him he was adopted/found and given to his 'father'. This caused Oedipus to leave that home he was raised in with the fear of harming the parents that raised him, and in so doing that, fulfilled the destiny that could have been AVOIDED.

Sorry I have feelings about this haha.

But if I just focus on the story that I read, which was Oedipus Rex, Oedipus at Colonus, and Antigone, I can have some calmer opinions.

Oedipus Rex played out exactly as I knew it would, with so much more drama than just reading a two page myth in a high school class, so five stars on that part.

Oedipus at Colonus was honestly...confusing to me. I understood the ending completely, but the beginning was so confusing for me. Why did the villagers both accept him in the forest/grove and also like...begged him to leave? I know part of it was because of his name and his story/curse but I was so confused for a lot of it. So two stars for that one.

Antigone, however, was a banger of a piece. I love her and her bravery/defiance to Creon (who is a little b****** of a man. Glad he got what was coming to him.

I feel that I didn't fully enjoy the reading process of this story because it was a play. Not because it was a play, but because I think I'd rather watch it performed to get the full story that way. Time to look for local playings in my area perhaps!

I give the Oedipus Cycle 3.5 stars (rounded up to four on Goodreads) for the fact that I liked the story, but found Oedipus at Colonus a bit confusing at first and would have rather watched this play out instead of read it.

What do you think of reading plays or of The Oedipus Cycle? I'd love to see your opinions!

À bientôt!


Photo/Gif creds: my photo of book w/mug, Merida, Oedipus play,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...