Thursday, March 5, 2020

Suite Français by Irène Némirovsky

*there will be spoilers and sensitive topics

This book was very different from the normal genre and style of books that I normally read. Normally I read fiction, sci-fi, and fantasy stories as can be seen from my other reviews and Goodreads lists. However when I found this book during one of my $10 library bag sales, I placed it into my bag. The story, both Suite Français and Irène's, interested me and I knew that I'd want to read it someday. The fact that it was originally written in French might have been another reason that I wanted to read this book.

While reading this story, I was filled with a bit of sadness because I knew ahead of time what had happened to the author, and how this story was so similar to the life that she lived in those years as well. Also again I am saddened by the chilling history of our world, the lives that were lost, the families ripped apart. The horrors that people suffered just for being alive.

Hearing the history of Irène's life as well was interesting. She came from a rich life, but during WW1 she had to leave her life because her father's was in danger. Then she and her family found their way to France where she lived a flirtatious and wild life until she met her husband.

I am in awe with how many works she was able to write in a short time in her life. She has about 9 novels, and Suite Français was her last work that was published to the world, done so by her daughter Denise many years after her death.

I'm lucky that I was able to read this book. While it is basically a first draft to the story, it was wonderfully written and filled with wonderfully created characters. I was happy and joyful when the Michauds were able to make it home, and that Charles was hit by a car and died because I really disliked his character and what he did to that young couple while on the road. I felt he got what he deserved.

There was great sorrow in the book too. I was so sad that the Father died, and in such a brutal manner as well by those kids. To be beaten and then basically drown because you got caught under the water. I was scared just reading it if I'm going to be completely honest with you.

For the love in the story, I really wanted Jean-Marie to go back and be with Madeleine because I felt they would have been really nice and cute together, and was sad when she ended up with Benoît, even though that was sort of set in stone before he went off to war. However I also wish I could have seen how Irène wrote how Jean-Marie and Lucile would fall in love. I honestly wanted Jean-Marie to have a good life, but from her notes Irène didn't have the same thoughts.

To know that this was only two parts out of what was going to be a five part story, I can say that it didn't fully feel like anything was missing. With the way Irène wrote Dolce, it was like the real ending. To say if only WW2 didn't happen, we wouldn't even have this book in the first place. I just wish that Irène's life (and so many other millions of lives) could have been spared during this time in history to have the whole story given to us.

I gave Suite Français 5 stars. Partly for the information above, and partly because I am emotional and felt part of my heart in the story because I knew what happened in the end. I honestly recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction and non-fiction, as I feel this book has a nice tie between the two.

Let me know what you thought of this book or the story if you've read it. Did you find it as emotional as I did? I've love to hear your thoughts as well.

À bientôt!

Photo/Gif creds: cover photo from Goodreads, Irène's photo,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...