Monday, May 25, 2020

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my TBR before using my jar to pick the others. Now while I was excited about this book and wanted to read it...I had no idea that while reading it I would also be hit with one of the biggest reading slumps I've felt in a long time.

I'm going to talk about this book timeline by timeline because I think that will be easier for me. Also I'll red out the text before some spoilers, but others I won't because they're not that big of a spoiler. This is going to be long, but this is probably one of the longest books I've read in a long time, and the longest book I've read that I've reviewed so I will try my best to cut down anything.


1: forêt, hache, famille (1693-1716)

     -René Sel
I really liked René's story and his character. I felt like he was just man trying to have a better life, and Trèpagny was a mean and cruel man who used him (which I'm sure was done a lot in this time periods by seigneurs). While the forced marriage wasn't great, I think by the end of it he and Mari did actually love each other, and I was so sad with how his story ended. I was screaming for justice honestly. WHAT DID HE DO WRONG TO DESERVE A FATE LIKE THAT!?
*add in the whole 'thought of brother while loving on Mari the first time?

2: "...helplessly they stare at his tracks" (1693-1727)

     -Charles Duquet/Duke
Everyone, I am SO GLAD Duquet found the fate that he did. While yes, you did have to be a little ruthless back in the day, he took it too far and was way too conniving and cruel for me to like. It was almost the perfect villain save the sharp cheekbones and deep chuckle. Didn't even love his wife, stole from people who helped him learn and survive in the New France wilderness. Glad he got a good ol' dose of karma at the end. That last sentence was *chef's kiss* delectable.

3: all these woods once ours (1724-1767)

     -René & Mari's kids
Honestly, I felt so bad for all the Sel children because they had both their parents (I know Mari's older children weren't René's but he treated them nicely), both of them taken away, one from a sickness and one from being *spoiler alert* MURDERED AND SCALPED! And then Renardette comes in again to screw them out of their home, have to travel to a new land they only knew from stories their mother told. I really did feel bad for them and wanted them to stay in their home, because after leaving there things just went...to s***. Almost feels like my life a bit with how they can't catch a break.

4: the severed snake (1756-1766)

     - Duquet children
It didn't come as a shock to me that I liked Duquet's children better than him, but I still don't really...like most of his children. I liked Bernard, and that's because of Birgit (and that's also all I can say about that unless I spoil a real big shocker). I do think his son's cared more about the relationships they made with the people around them instead of just going for the pursuit of money, but they still did everything for the sake of money. Also...I almost relate to Outger in a sense. I can't put my finger on it but I feel a strange connection to this man. Maybe it's because I'm locked in my house and he just didn't leave his until the end. Guess I'm Outger/Etdidu Duquet.

5: in the lumber camps (1754-1804)

     - Kuntaw (Achille's son) and his grandchildren
I felt bad for this family. Tommy having had a somewhat difficult childhood with his mother and then not having much luck after he found his father. But at least Tommy's kids (Kuntaw's grandchildren) had a better childhood with their grandparents and uncles & aunt. I wonder what it would be like to grow up with your aunt or niece. My mother did that with a few of her relatives. I thought it was interesting to follow the life in the cutting camps and seeing the danger in them a bit more. But it was also interesting to see how Beatrix tried to bring the Mi'kmaq culture into the family's life even though there was a lot of whiteman influence.

One thing that I really got struck with while reading this was *sorry another spoiler but it's because it's important to me* ...was the death of Beatrix. She had cancer, in the stomach. And she liked horses. So did my best friend Ashley (I called her my Mama Duck because I followed her around places I didn't know). Ashley died in 2016 due to her cancer, and I wish I had more time, and spent more time with her in those last months. Sometimes I regret having gone to college so far away because I wasn't able to see her.

6: "fortune's a right whore" (1808-1826)

     - James Duke (great-grandson of Duquet)
This storyline was interesting to me. James was basically sent away because his mom died in childbirth (a common thing during that period of time) and the father apparently felt bad about it when he died and left him everything. So he went home and then fell in love with the woman he met on the trip home. Even though he thought it was amazing that she cared about his family buisness and all he had to say, I didn't trust her because she seemed shady and abusive. But James was in love with a married woman and needed to find a way to be with her. It was almost too easy for him to get rid of the husband too, to bad he *umm...spoiler* KILLED THE WRONG MAN. But love(?) found its way in the end. Didn't like Posey's father AT ALL and was glad he wasn't allowed near their daughter.

7: broken sticks (1825-1870)

     - Jinot Sel (Tommy's son & Kuntaw's grandson)
I liked following Jinot and his life. I think it was interesting to also see him recovering from his injury with Sillyboy and to then see him go into a life working for an ax company. I was a little worried with how much his boss liked him and why he was always taken along with him. And my worries were answered when he was made to come along to New Zealand. I was sad about it.

8: glory days (1836-1870)

     -family of James Duke
Now during this I liked Lavinia. She knew what she wanted and didn't stop until she got it and more. I also did like the Breitsprecher cousins and how much they liked to save trees. I was shocked how after some years the families joined in marriage but...there was money on both sides as well so *shrug*. I did give an eye-roll to naming the child Charles but that's also because I didn't like his character haha.

9: the shadow in the cup (1844-1960s)

     -Aaron Sel after father dies, as well as later generations
     -HAS A CHAPTER TITLED BARKSKINS
Aaron tried to live with his Mi'kmaw family but didn't fully feel like he belonged, then went on a strange ship voyage. On his return he finds that his family loves his and welcomes him with open arms and they all work together to help other Mi'kmaw and live together on reserves since the whiteman had taken most of their lands. Kuntaw makes a great reference to how he 'tried to be a whiteman, but his Mi'kmaw oil (whiteman was water) came up to the top'. They had to take up axes again and some even traveled into the west. Lost limbs and lives both at home and abroad.

Descendent of both Duke and Sel families is Lobert who has a child called Egga, who is abused at a boarding-esque school and runs away. He does not return on St. Anne's day each year like other Sel family members.

my thoughts:

10: sliding into darkness (1886-2013)

     - Begins with the children of Dieter and ends with the grandchildren of Lobert, so a mix of both families
Duke company going bankrupt after runaway employees (I did kind of laughed at this), and the anger caused Lavinia to go back on her word and cut more trees to the distress of New Zealanders and Dieter. Their son Charley dreams of the preservation of trees even more than Dieter and after a very bad...incident *an assault* he is moved to the tropics where he studies the trees and writes it all down on notebooks later used to destroy those trees after his death. The family started to research the history of the company and relearns the search of the heir and freaks, however then sells the company except for the Seedling Business which does well.

Egga had tried to keep his Mi'kmaw heritage away from his children because of his past but they begged him to spill. Had two strong-willed daughters, one of who goes into the eco-world and becomes well known. Cousins Felix and Jeanne join her and a small team to replant, research, and monitor new trees and try to begin growing the mystic forests once again. Though Egga's daughter, Sapatisia didn't know if they could ever save it.

my thoughts:


So the basic plot of this story was about two barkskins (woodcutters) Rene and Charles and following their two families the Sels - who more or less cared for the forest and family all together and had many troubles and trials all through life, and the Duquets/Dukes - who as a whole only cared about the business and money and thought clearing the forests than preserving it as well. Though the family lines did cross at one point and I really would have liked to see the Sel family come in and take over the company at one point. I think it would have been fun!


I give Barkskins 4 stars because I really liked the story, the Franco aspects, and the Sel family. However I really just disliked the Duke family and I think it's because they were more vain and stuff but I applaud Annie for writing them in a way that I can dislike them the same way I dislike real life people like them.

It's also turning into a TV series that is premiering today (May 25th) so now I have a new show to watch now!

Are you excited about the TV series on Nat Geo? Or have you read this book too? I'd love to talk all about it because I surprisingly really liked this.

Sorry this was so long I tried to cut it down I promise, I just had a lot to say and wanted to get the book out. If you've made it this far I applaud you and thank you as well. 

À bientôt!

Photo/Gif creds: my photo of book, Barkskins logo,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...