Sunday, April 15, 2018

$10 Library Book Haul - April 2018

So, like my previous post on this event will tell you, my local city library will hold sales! You bring a bag, either a reusable shopping bag, or you can take a brown paper bag from them, fill it up with books, CDs, or even DVDs that they have no longer in circulation. Then all you have to do is pay them $10!!!

Ten dollars for a large number of books and other materials that normally altogether would have cost closer to $100. How great of a deal is that?? The best kind for me, and I'm sure my fellow booklovers will agree.

This time I was lucky to come home from university to take part in the sale, my mother and I were going to go to a paintbar the next day so it was just no thought about also going to this sale. Down below I will label the books and other items that I got, and why I decided to put them into my bag.

The French Way: 2nd Edition by Ross Steele. This book my mother handed to me. It was about the lives of those who live in France, and their sort of day-to-day culture. I thought it was an interesting book to have on hand for the day that I finally go to France for a vacation (or for a job).

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I saw this book and was reminded that I've always been interested in this story, even from the movie. I just never saw the film and then never got around to read the book. Maybe now I will!

The Essential Cat by Paddy Cutts. So, it's a book about a photographer following around cats and taking many photos of them. How could I not get it???

French: A Self-Teaching Guide by Suzanne A. Hershfield. Even though I am a French Major with almost seven years of experience with the language (wow that was a jarring sentence to write), I think it's always good to relearn the basics and make sure you're fully grasping what you need to do.

Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow. I sang the musical version of this once so I thought this was a fun find at the library. I might read it to see how different or similar it is to its musical adaptation, or I might give it to my choral director as a gift for all he has done.

Imagine: How Creativity Works by Jonah Lehrer. I liked the cover on this. It drew me to the book. Then I saw the tagline and dropped it into my bag. I always like learning about creativity. And if I don't like it, then someone else will.

Off The Beaten Path: Southern France (author unknown). So, someday in the future, I am going to go to France. It would be fun to learn about other places and areas in the South of France to discover. I couldn't find it on Goodreads either so oh well.

The Cat by Edeet Ravel. SO first off the title is The Cat so I had to read the back. The summary was very interesting and had a strange twist to it. I just hope the mystery in the summary will not be the only thing that I like about the whole story.

A small book about what to name your cat based on their personality, horoscope, and more!

Menagerie by Sharon Montrose. This was a French word, so I was intrigued. Then there were animals all over the cover. Turns out the book is just a bunch of pictures of animals. So in the bag it went.

Woodland Rains CD. An hour of calming nature sounds. Perfect for when I start meditating again!

Sucker Punch DVD. Another movie I have always wanted to see, but I could never find where to watch it. Let's hope it will live up to the hype I've put onto it in my mind.

The Year's Best Science-Fiction Annual Collection(s). This is authored by many and edited by Gardner Dozois. I grabbed the 28th, 29th, 32nd, 33rd, and 34th editions of them. I have always wanted to get more into Sci-Fi, so large collections of many short stories might just be the way to go!

So, these were the books, CD, and movie that I was able to purchase this past weekend. It was always a fun experience.

I was also doing a homework assignment while there. For one of my communication courses, I have to conduct two sets of 3 hours where I only communicate non-verbally. This means no talking or even texting! It was so hard to do that around books, I love them so much so I like to talk around them, even if just to myself wondering if I should get the book or if I have it already at home.

So, that was my $10 book bag sale. It was fun, and I found some really great stuff. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some photos of all the books to put it on Instagram before I go home too. Does your library do things like this? Would you like them to? Have you read/listened/or seen anything on my list? Tell me what you thought of it!!!

À bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...