Sunday, June 25, 2017

$10 Library Book Haul

The library in the background of this logo/photo is from my
local city library.
This past Saturday I attended a book sale at my local city library.  It's called the 'Off the Shelves - $10 a Bag Booksale' and the name really spells out what it's all about.  You bring either a plastic or reusable grocery bag (or you can use a brown paper bag they can give you) and fill it with anything from hardcover/paperback books, movies, and informational books that they are no longer keeping in circulation.  Once you fill your bag(s) you pay for them.  $10 a bag and you get to walk away with a whole bunch of amazing finds.

This isn't the first time I've done this event at my library.  They hold it about four times a year.  I've been going to some of them for about four years and each time I bring home at least one full bag of books.  It's wonderful to come home with so many books.  I haven't read even one-eighth of the books I've gotten from there but that's not the point.

Below I will list the books I picked out along with the author name and the reason why I picked it.  I'll link the Goodreads as well (if I can find it).

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.  I picked this one because I had heard great things about 'Kite Runner' and both have been on my TBR list for a while.
I wish my bookshelves looked like this photo.
How I Became Stupid by Martin Page.  My mom laughed at the name alone so I read the summary on the back and it seemed really funny.
The Vampire's Doll by Jaclyn Dolamore.  The story was interesting and the cover felt nice in my hands.  I have a very weird relationship with books.  Then, honestly, the final reason that I had for picking this book was the description of the author in the book.  She seemed like an adorable person and I want to see what they have to offer me.
The Tolkien Companion by J.E.A. Tyler.  I really like anything Tolkien so this one was an obvious choice to pick.
Unfinished Tales by J.R.R. Tolkien (and edited by his son Christopher).  Again this one was an easy choice for me.  I was pretty sure that I already had this but the cover was different so I'll add it to the shelf.
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.  So there were many reasons I chose this one.  I have always heard that Oscar Wilde was a crazy cat, and Dorian Gray was in an episode of one of my favorite television shows.  The last reason was the pretty green binding and hardcover of the book.
The Raven's Heart by Jesse Blackadder.  This is the first book that I placed in my bag during the book sale.  I liked the fact that it was an interesting historical fiction novel with what seemed like a possible kick-ass heroine.  There was also some wording on the back of the book that gave me a strange feeling of a possible LGBTQIA+ relationship.  So that was definitely something for my list of 'Will This Book Be Good?'.



I also got a Scooby-Doo comic book and a cookbook of Cajun food because it was themed a little with pirates and I want to try new foods.

So now I'm going to be off finishing my reading challenge for 2017.  I'm a little bit behind on it right now.  So if you need me just know that I'll be either working or having my nose in a book.



À beintôt!

Photo creds: sepia library, book haul logo was designed by me on Canva, bookshelves, girl reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...