Thursday, September 12, 2019

Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa

When I heard that Julie was writing another book, I didn't even read what the summary was, I just went searching for it. Then I learned it was about foxes (or more specifically kitsunes), dragons, magic, and Japanese folklore/legends, I got even more excited. I found the link and preordered the book as soon as I had the money. Then I had to wait for about a month.

Once the book finally came in, all I did was take a few photos and then put it on my desk at school. I'm not the best at reading a book right when I get it or reading more than one book at a time. I didn't get around to reading it until after I graduated college (which is still crazy to think about).

Finally, now that I'm done the book, I think I'm able to put into words what I liked about it, and (unsurprisingly because I give easy reviews and love Julie) there was like...nothing I didn't like about the book besides the fact it ended and I don't immediately have the second one in my hands right now.

Spoilers will be said, I've figured that since I read books so far away from release and sort of after their hype that I won't censor myself while writing these. I won't give away the main plot, or the big twists, but I won't keep small details to myself that I liked.

So let's start off with one of the things that really drew me to this book: foxes, or as in this book, kitsunes. Foxes are one of my favorite animals of all time (the other being a cat) so I loved the inclusion of the character of Yumeko. I almost wished that this book was a show or had pictures because I would have loved to see her in her fox form, or at least with her ears. I also felt that Yumeko as a character was compelling and the fact that her true nature of being kind and caring to others around her didn't change as difficult situations came in front of her.

One thing I liked about this book, which is something that not a lot of people like in their books, was the multiple POVs. I think because the first book to really get me back into reading was in multiple POVs that I like to read books that way, so having three different POVs in this book wasn't something that bugged me at all. It was also done in a way that I always knew who it was without putting their name. The first chapter of each section was sort of a third person POV, then it switched from Yumeko and Tatsumi every other chapter. So I was able to follow along.

I thought the concept of Tatsumi being the bearer of Hakaimono and having to control a literal demon inside of him was great. It added to his character to almost give a different take on the dark, brooding, male character with dark hair and beautiful eyes. At first, I couldn't tell if Hakaimono or Kamigoroshi was the demon, or if the sword was the demon, but that might just be me haha.

Now, I might not be the best person to comment on this because, well...I'm white and have never really looked into these sorts of contexts/stereotypes, but I felt that the way Julie wrote this book in regards to the kami and yokai was very researched and also kind. The kami weren't immediately seen as someone who is bad, just someone who can use magic. Yokai weren't 100% seen as bad, but they were more seen as demons then the kami but left alone for the most part.

As for romance in this book...I want Tatsumi and Yumeko to be endgame...just because their dynamic was so great, and I feel that she can defeat Hakaimono with her bare hands if need be to get him back.


Have you read this book yet? What did you think of it? And if you haven't, what's the thing that brought you to this book in the first place?

I can't wait to get the second book in my hands...just need to read a few more books on the TBR!

À bientôt!

Photo/GIF creds: my photo of the book, kitsune, heart,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...