Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Senior Moments

So, I'm not a senior citizen, but I am a senior in college, which basically has the same anxieties and difficulties, if not more of them because I'm spending so much money on an education to get a job to help me pay off my education. Absolutely nutso. Or maybe I'll just be one crazy old lady who rambles about books and cats, but we'll get to that bridge a little later in life.

So I've started my last first semester of my Undergraduate career. I am only 8-9 months away from having two Bachelor of Arts degrees, who exciting is that!? Well, it's exciting to me and that's why I went to school, and added on the second degree (I started out as just a French major and then in my second year added a major of Media Studies Communication). Both of these majors, and my professors have helped open so many doors and opportunities for me.

However, while this is all great, I'm still worried about paying off my loans, like any college student is. Money is tight for a lot of us, but I'll keep pushing through.

Now, if you've followed my blog or even my YouTube you would have seen a post or a video about how I was going to study abroad in Canada this semester. That didn't happen. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find housing up in Canada that I felt was safe enough or close enough to my host school. So at the last minute my friend and I (who was also supposed to go) dropped out of the program and we returned to our home school. We were lucky to be accepted back and helped so quickly.

We live together in one of the upperclassmen dorms, and I'm taking classes for both my majors to help me get closer to graduation and I have to start looking for projects for my French Capstone, so any ideas could be helpful!

I want to share wisdom from my last three years, but I don't know what to say, or even if the things that I would say could be wise. So I'll just list a few things that are close to clichés and hope that they help people in their daily lives and anyone heading into college.
  1. Make friends - talk to people in your classes. I found one of my best friends in my first year math class. We sat next to each other and just joked for the rest of the semester. It also turns out we went to the same high school, were in the same band/colorguard, knew each other, but just weren't friends, but hey! That's what college is for.
  2. Go to events - Bingo is big on my campus. We go hard for those boards and prizes. I even won a game my freshman year! It's a fun atmosphere and you might even meet new friends during the events.
  3. Talk to your advisors/professors - They are there to help you. I talk to my advisor for my French major as often as I can (I'll do that with my MSC advisor too soon since she's back from Sabbatical). They want to hear from you, want to be able to help you in any way that they can, so let them!
  4. Do your homework. Buy/rent the books (physical copies or e-copies). Go to class. I know there are so many videos giving you tips and tricks on how to pass a class without going or even reading the book, but you're already paying so much money to go there, why waste it??
  5. Take what you can get. I lived my first year in a dorm, the next two years in an apartment, now I'm in a dorm again. And I'm fine with that! I have a home. Don't be upset with where you are at first, you'll find your place and where you're better later. Let things take time.

My first week of classes has come and gone. My room is getting set up how I want it to look, I'm excited for the semester and the year to come.

If you're someone in college, just starting college, or going to college in the coming years and want to grab some advice that I didn't share in here, comment down below! I'd love to share more of the thoughts in my brain that I can't format into this post.

À bientôt!

Pic/Gif creds: college clip art, crazy eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...