Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Should I Move to Wordpress?

Sometimes I wonder if Blogger is the best place for me and my blog. I started using Blogger three years ago when I made a blog for one of my classes to give chapter summaries. I thought it was an easy system to use, and had some fun templates to work with, so I decided to start my own blog.

Also, I'm not fully feeling my blog name anymore...because I don't fully have a theme on my blog and my blog name, Fiction Food and French, almost seems like a theme...but I have never blogged about food yet...which like...should I blog about food soon? Maybe if I ever go to a famous restaurant or try something cultural? I just don't know.

But I also know that fiction, food, and things French are a big part of my life and personality. I like writing and reading fiction, I like food, and I'm a French major with such a passion for the language and culture.

But it's also not just French that I like the language and culture for. I have a long list of other languages that I wish to learn soon and I love learning all I can about different cultures and the people who celebrate them.

I just feel that a large majority of people use Wordpress, and when I do tags and fun little bookish posts, I can't do the Pin-Back feature that Wordpress allows you to do to notify people that you tagged them. And I feel like that is a really cool and interesting feature that should be used.

I've looked at Wordpress before, and I'd be able to import all of the posts that I have made here onto a Wordpress account/blog if I made one, and I've also always wanted to have my own website and that's another thing Wordpress can have connected to the blog (I have no idea if Blogger can do that, and also Google getting rid of Google+ probably changes a lot of things about Blogger).

Mainly what I'm asking is those who use Wordpress: what are the best parts about it? How easy is it to create your own website/blog and what are your favorite parts of having a Wordpress blog? Does it matter which package I get, and like...are they really that expensive in the long run? I'm about to get out of school and make more money than small part-time jobs so it would probably be easier for me to pay for it.

And for those who use Blogger...what are features that I'm missing? Do you not care about not having the Pin-Back feature to tag other bloggers? It is maybe my inability to code that makes me just...not want to think about customizing my blog at the moment or thinking that it's too hard? Should I just not care about what platform I use and continue to use Blogger? Because I like having my blog...but maybe this platform just isn't right for me? Thoughts?

I know I need to learn how to code if I want to use Wordpress too...so either way I have to learn it.

For those with blogs that don't use either Wordpress or Blogger...what's your platform and what do you like about it?

Lately I've been really thinking about where I want to take this blog, the types of posts I want to do, and I want to revamp the whole look of my whole blog. I'm going to keep the posts I just want to change like the theme and look of the blog and maybe pick a new name that fits that just a bit better, and I don't know how to get myself to that point on my own.

à bientôt!

Photo/GIF creds: Elmo thinking, shrugging man,

2 comments:

  1. My blog is run on Wordpress! I really like that platform, and in my early days of blogging, I bounced between Wordpress and Blogger. :) If you're heading to Wordpress, start with a free account! If you're finding you want to buy your domain or self-host or get a package, worry about that in the long run... but most bloggers run on the free package pretty happily and there are LOADS of templates to choose from. I found it pretty user-friendly, and most people I know who have switched have been happy. :) There's definitely features - ping backs, universal logins, the follow dashboard - that are really nice to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've honestly been thinking of moving there soon, and the feature of transferring all of my past posts into Wordpress is something that I'm happy about because I don't want to potentially lose content or anything. I think once I graduate I'll treat myself with getting a package for Wordpress and move my blog to there. Thank you for your comment Amber!

      Delete

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...