Saturday, January 19, 2019

Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh - A Book Review

WOW!  I really liked this book. It was great and had so many twists and turns that I didn't see coming. The way you felt about a lot of characters changes throughout the book, either subtlely during a chapter or in one short sentence.

There are some spoilers, but I'll put major ones in RED TEXT so you can skip them if you haven't read it. If you don't care about spoilers then go ahead and read it all!

I got this book from Page Habit in a sale box, and I chose this book because the story sounded great, and I wanted to read a book with a character closer to me than some of the other books that I have read, in the sense of romance.

It was important to me to read this book because Odessa was bisexual. I haven't read a lot of books that even touch on my sexuality and having the main character being bi? YES PLEASE. And I also liked how, I guess, normal it was to just be who you were and love who you loved.

With that being said, I liked how Odessa started with her and Evander, but part of their dynamic just didn't work for me. Maybe it was because they had that fight about change and exploring the world. But I did think that they worked for each other. Damn did it hurt when he died like I didn't think that's how it would go, and seeing what it did to her was rough to read. I know heartache like that, that burns inside you.

I LOVE KASMIRA! From the first meeting on the boat, I wanted more of her in the books. I wanted her and Odessa to kiss. I would have wanted to kiss Kasmira too, and I would have. Where is my beautiful weather mage-boat captain? I only wish for the simple things in life.

I hope I have friends like Valoria and Meredy who would sit by me in my greatest downfall and help pull me back up as hard as they could. Valoria was such a strong character too, and interesting too with her knowledge and powers. And with Meredy, I really liked her, and with her description and clothing, I got MAJOR Sansa Stark vibes. Just as tough, maybe even more, and with a bear to back it up.

The fighting and the conflict in the story, as well as the world-building, were so thought-out and different. During the book, I was always trying to figure out who it could have been, but everyone had seemed so nice and worried about the conflict themselves, that I never saw it coming.

Symbolism in the book

Flowers - I loved how flowers popping up on graves being something dangerous and wrong. A message sent from the dead, that's cool! I don't care what anyone says. I think taking what a lot of people think about flowers, that they are a symbol of love and purity, and using it the way Marsh has, is an incredibly creative thought.
Eye Color & Magic - I thought that having a certain eye color being an indication of certain jobs that you can have was also very creative. But I also feel like I need to know more about the different colored eyes and what they can do, and if there are more types of colors somewhere.

I give RotF: 5 Stars!

I can't wait for the second book. It seems even more action-packed and I can't wait to read more about Odessa and Meredy (and hopefully Kasmira). And connect even more with the characters and story like I did with this book. The ending had such large amounts of hope and happiness, that I want to see it all happen again, even if it will bring heartache to the characters (and me) while reading.

Have you read this book? Are you planning on reading it? I want to talk about it as much as I can! Comment down below. I want to know your favorite parts!


À bientôt!

Photo/Gif creds: my photo of the book, flowers gif, guy reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...