Monday, May 18, 2020

One Year Post Grad

graduation cap decorated with orange flowers and leaf-decorated rope.
my grad cap design
A year ago I graduated college with two bachelor degrees, one in French and the other in Media Studies Communication. It was a whirlwind four years and I miss them so much. The experiences I had, the skills and knowledge I gained, and the life-long friends that I made along the way.

I had actually wanted to post this post the actual day of my graduation but things happened so instead I am posting on the year anniversary of my graduation party that happened a week later. I also didn't know if a post like this was something that should really be posted, due to the situations surrounding all high school and college/university graduations across the globe at the moment. But I really wanted to talk about my experiences since I left Plymouth State and some of my thoughts as well.

To the class of 2020, I do say this: I am so sorry that you have had your graduations derailed due to this whole pandemic. I wish we could have stopped this in time to let you guys have that special moment of walking across a stage and receiving your diploma. And if you feel this post may not be comfortable for you to read with me talking about my own graduation, please feel free to exit the post. I will not mind, and I understand not reading things that make you feel sad or hurt. And I hope you can all make the most out of this time and what the world has given you and will give you in the future.

moving image of a cat reaching both hands up to the screen to give a kiss


Friends and I at convocation
As for me, I remember working so hard towards that goal of walking across the stage. Then it finally came, and I was so nervous, scared, and sad all at the same time. I didn't want my time in college to end and I also wanted to go forward into the future. I knew I had the skills and the know-how to get through life, but was also scared that maybe I didn't know as much as I could have. What if I had missed something and that was the missing link? But I had to swallow those little fears and get my cap and gown. I went to convocation and got the award from the Communication department and got the award as the Distinguished Senior of the Media Studies degree, and even got a gift from my French advisor (with a book that I'm currently reading now!). Things seemed to be going good and I was happy with where I was.

A group of adults, five women one man, standing together wearing caps and gowns, each with a different amount of cords around their necks. They are all smiling
The language department and
my French advisor, Kate.

Then the next day came, and it was time to graduate. And I did. It was a lot of stress to make sure I was there on time and made it to the spot where we walked down from. My feet hurt while we waited to go into the auditorium for the actual ceremony, but I was hanging out with the people from both my majors and my advisors so I didn't care all that much. It was a special day and I would be happy about it.

As I walked in I saw my family (my mom, sister, dad, step-mom, and nephew) all there waving STICKS WITH MY FACE ON IT! While at first I was only slightly embarrassed I laugh at it now and the leftover ones (they were many of them made) are now toys that my nephew plays with. I sat with my friend Christine as we listened to all of the speeches, and was also texting my friends about small funny things during the whole ceremony. It was a fun day, even though we were stuffed all close together and it was a decently hot day.

Looking back at the day now, I realize that I have very little photos from it. There were so many people crowding into the fields outside the building doing the same thing, and I also had to go back and take all my things out of my dorm before a certain time. I only have photos with my French advisor, parents, and sister and nephew as real graduation photos. I never got those photos done in my cap and gown while walking around campus or in a pretty local like many others do. This may also be due to the fact that I didn't finish my cap until the thursday before I walked. I get a bit sad and nostalgic for that day, wishing I had had more time to take more pictures with my friends and teachers on that day, but I know there is time still to take photos with those people, just not in the same context. And it's the people that matter the most anyway!

Back home, I gave myself about a week/week and a half before reapplying to my job that I had had for a few summers before at Party City. I needed something to bring in an income while job searching and saving up for loans. There have been many applications sent out, many cover letters written, and so many searches on LinkedIn and Indeed, and so far I have not found a career. Sometimes I wonder if my intelligence and good grades were all a façade and I actually didn't know anything that was taught to me while in school, but I know that I have those skills and knowledge to really set me over the top. My professors were the best at what they do and I'm still working to make them proud of me.

monica wearing glasses and her graduation clothing, photo is a selfie
the only selfie I took that day
When this is done I will be doing a mix of reading and job searching still. I have some avenues that I have yet to travel down for job searching and plan to go there, perhaps that will bring me to that dream career that hasn't even been unlocked in my mind yet.

It's weird that it's only a year since I graduated, how did the time fly by so quickly? How will my life differ in just one more year? It's all speculative and I am both excited and scared for the future, but the excitement wins out more. I've had many rejections from jobs (luckily they weren't bad just that I was 'not picked for the position') and many that just didn't respond to me, but that won't stop me. I know I'm worth it. I'm worth a good job and a good life, so as long as I continue to fight for that and for myself, that's perfect in my book.

I've got my whole life ahead of me, and it's nice and bright.


Thank you for reading this very long and nostalgic post, and if you have any questions about my life as a student or post grad, or even want to share your feelings on being a graduate past or present, please comment below!

À bientôt!


Photo/Gif creds: all grad photos taken by me, family, or friends day of grad, kitty kiss, 

1 comment:

  1. Love this so much! I remember feeling really similarly a year after graduation and reflecting back on my time. You're doing fabulously, and your professors are already proud of you <3

    ReplyDelete

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...