Friday, December 21, 2018

Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare - A Book Review

I finished this book when I should have gone to bed, and I'm writing this review when instead I should sleep on it. You know what, I'm going to go to sleep. And when I wake up, I'll finish this review. I'm just full of emotions right now and I want to SCREAM TO THE HEAVENS because wow...

Okay, I napped for a long while, let's start.

Now, as you saw from my review of the Shadowhunter Academy stories, I love this world, but this book might just be my least favorite, for a few reasons. As I write this, I am still trying to decide on three or four stars (you'll find that out at the end...as will I).

Because I did like a lot of it, but there are just so many things within the narrative of this one book that I didn't like, and a lot of them were at the very end. Which tends to happen with a lot of CC books. She shoves a blade through your heart just when you think the damage couldn't get any greater. You'd think by now I would have learned, but alas, I have not.

So I want to start with the things that I did like because I feel that will be nicer and easier for me at the moment. I'll try to be as spoiler-free as I can be, but honestly, it's not easy for me and I don't read books when they first come out so most people interested in the book have probably read it. But I'll keep the big stuff hidden. It's the smaller things I normally have a harder time keeping secret.

Likes

I have always loved Diana, and this book just made that fact more solid for me. She is a dynamic character and now I ship her and Gwyn, thanks for THAT. Gwyn saying to Diana that she's been in his dreams swept me off my feet, and I was laying down when I was reading it. Need me someone like that.

Also, I do love how CC likes to bring in so many different types of characters, just to show that they are the same as humans, how we are all unique and it's just so fake and weird that everyone would be straight/cisgender all the time soooo. That's always a plus in my book. Mark, Alec, Magnus, *name struck out due to spoiler*, Helen and Aline (always a fan of them).

I want my own Clary Fray to comfort me on a rooftop and tell me everything might be okay. Because I need reality at some points in my life and I don't like being lied to. I wish she was more in the series, but at the same time it makes sense since this isn't her series anymore...but I still miss her.

The mention of Marisol and Jon in this book made my heart so happy and light, my small children! Happy together! Great, so happy.

Diana SHUTTING DOWN Zara like a damn Queen will forever live on my memories. How sweet it is to read a bigot get yelled at and put in their place.

The relationship between the twins and Kit was a great friendship and I felt beautifully written.

I also loved reading as Kit learned more about Ty and why he does what he does, and how Livvy works with him. And how Kit learned his own ways to work with Ty. It made me smile to see things like that, making anxiety attacks, and being different or even autistic (I don't think they said it outright that Ty's autistic and I could be wrong, maybe it's just close to that but not labeled that) is just something that is. And you have to just accept someone for who they are as a person and be there for them.

While I didn't like that he left so soon because I liked his character, Arthur's sacrifice (sorry small spoiler) for his family was so caring and an amazing final moment in his life. Something they can all think of, it was for them, because he loved his family.

Dislikes

*this section has slight spoilers because of my FEELINGS, please enter at own risk*

HOW DARE YOU TAKE AWAY JON! His character grew so much in the Academy and I thought he could be more in this book and work with the Blackthorns but NO!, just rip my heart right out again. I just want happiness at some point within these books. please cassie

Zara reminds me of so many people. I hate extremists and just the type of people like her. It's so fitting to read of someone like her, who hates anyone who is different or not 'normal' in her eyes. While it's fitting to reality, doesn't mean I LIKED IT BECAUSE SHE WAS MEAN. Also while I disliked her character, I liked her addition to the plot because of the different Downworlders that have always helped the Blackthorns and other shadowhunters since...a long time ago.

As much as I love a forbidden romance, the whole 'parabatai curse/against the law' plot with Emma and Julian, wasn't a fan. I felt it was almost unneeded with the rest of the story going. I see where certain plot points would not be able to be there without the forbidden love, but so much of the rest of the plot would remain the same if taken out, in my opinion. I just...it was something I felt didn't need to be in the book.

However, I am one person and most likely not in that majority and I'm fine with that. I'll still read the rest of the series.

I think that it's mainly because it's more of a law and a curse and not like...two families who said: "no don't do that". I like things like that where it's more of a principle that they can't be together, and not a curse.

Also, something I find that happens a lot with CC books: a large majority of bad stuff happens to multiple people at the same time during a mass chaos situation at the end so you can't SLEEP afterward. Like what happened here in Lord of Shadows. Like, please Cassie, STOP HURTING THEM! They've all been through so much already.

Now one final note,

To the piskie with its whole head in a bowl of milk: 

I just want you to know, from the bottom of my heart and soul; BIG MOOD.


Stars given: 3.75 (4 on Goodreads). This is because of the things that I did not like.

I love the world, I love the characters, but so many other things I just...I can't fully put my heart into it. So much loss, and so much destruction and death, the curse. Sometimes I just can't get past it if so much blood has already previously been spilled as well. However, perhaps in time, I won't think this and I'll have a different opinion. This is just my current one.

*Michael Cera voice* well, that's my review, let's talk about it.

À bientôt!

Photo/Gif creds: shadowhunters, michael cera,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...