Sunday, July 30, 2017

Transgender Equality Rally NH 2017

Yesterday I attended a Transgender Equality rally hosted by Rights And Democracy.  I had heard about the rally two days beforehand and knew that I wanted to go.  I put interested on the Facebook event but wasn't fully sure in myself whether I was going or not.  The next day came and I asked some friends if they were going, and the ones I asked weren't able to.  I saw that one friend of mine was going so I knew that if I did decide to go that there would be someone I knew.  I was still on the fence though.

The day of the rally came, it was just three hours before.  I was sitting in my living room thinking about it all.  Then a thought came to me.  I haven't been a good enough trans ally.  I haven't been a good enough ally to anyone really, not even for myself.  I told myself right then that I was going, whether I knew anyone or not.  I had to take the step to becoming a better ally to everyone who is getting hurt by our current world and administration.  Because if I don't do it now, it'll be too late for me to do anything.

I got dressed and convinced my mother to join me.  We both walked down to the park by our home, which turned out to be the wrong park so we had to walk to the other park close to our home where the rally actually took place.  The second I saw all those people standing in the park and could hear the music, I knew I was doing the right thing.

Walking into the rally, my mother and I signed in with RAD and got some papers.  The speakers hadn't started so we were able to walk around to the tables set up with organizations.  Lively music flowed from everywhere and I smiled seeing everyone else who came out in support.  I wrote on a small piece of pink fabric why I wanted to fight for the rights of LGBTQIA+ individuals, which was hung on a piece of string to fly in the air other words of support and help.  I filled out a postcard which is being sent to my ward Senator asking them to vote for transgender rights and freedoms the next time the vote arises.

My mother and I continued to walk around as special guests sang and the speakers began.  We listened as we walked.  I met up with two friends who were there.  We all ended up sitting together as we listened to Gerri Cannon speak out about their life story, their struggles in life, and the beauty and strength that came out of it to make them such a strong and powerful individual.  They also mentioned at the end of their speech that they were going to run for the NH government.  I look forward to having them work for my state and work for the transgender Granite staters that just want their rights.  After Gerri spoke Sherry Frost, a representative from my state who is an outspoken ally to the LGBTQIA+ community.  One of the first things she said, which really spoke to me was "I hope I'm a good fit for allies."  There were more quotes from everyone when they spoke, but I was only able to come out of my trance to write down three of them that I really felt impacted me.


"I was free to be me." - Gerri Cannon
"This is where it [the fight for transgender rights] starts!" - Chloe LaCasse (MC)
"Everyone does better, when everyone does better." - Rep. Sherry Frost
Rep. Sherry Frost

Gerri Cannon


I really liked this poster.
There was also one big thing that hit me with this event, was how it felt.  The atmosphere was light and sweet (I sound like I'm describing cake).  There was only love and acceptance.  There was no yelling outside of the one chant.  Of course, there were cheers and whoo's while the speakers made their speeches, but everyone there in that park was happy to be there.

Well, almost everyone.  A small group of hecklers showed up during the guest speakers.  It was off to the side and not in the main area, so the speakers weren't stopped, but many of us could hear it going on behind us.  Could hear them yelling at others just trying to support other humans.  My mother had been over there while they yelled and told me one of them had said "I can't have any peace here." and their friend had said, "There are too many of you people here."

It was hurtful to think that these two people were not able to see that we were all people, and we all deserved to stand up for what we believe in and want.  Stand up for what we need.  After the hecklers left, and speakers were just about done.  What was left was music and chatter.  The afternoon was not going to be wasted just because all the words were spoken.

I had approached Rep. Frost to tell her 'thank you' for being an ally in Concord, NH for us all.  We need more of them like her and Gerri (I see future where they are also in Concord) to make sure everyone is actually free in this 'free' nation.
I Stand with Planned
Parenthood

I went home with my small bag of swag from the tables (I got my mom to take home a pin), a smile on my face, and a new urge to fight for everyone.

My bag of swag.














À beintôt!

*all photos were taken by me*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...