Friday, December 29, 2017

'Under the Dome' Part 1 & 2 by Steven King - A Book Review


So, my first experience with this series was the introduction of the television series on CBS. I knew it was a Steven King novel, but the premiere date was too close for me to run out and find the books to read before the series started. Also if I remember correctly, I wasn't interested in reading it when the show came out, good thing that time changes feelings.

Part 1

Television photo of the dome vs. the book cover dome.
This starts out as more of an origin story, and there were so many storylines to follow and people to remember that I kept forgetting that this story was only taking place over a few days, not weeks.  It was confusing to me that some of the characters were the same, but not doing the same activities. That some of the characters in the television show had been teenagers but in the book were preteens. In the show, two people had been in a relationship, in the book the man was the friend of the girl's ex.  I also found myself connecting the face from the show to the names in the book.  But that's to be expected with reading the book after watching the first season of the show.

The action was well written in this part but I feel that since it was two parts that most of the action and planning would happen in the second book (and I think I was right). This story was more to do with what they are all doing right after it falls, and the real danger comes afterward.

My rating: I gave this book 4 stars. This was mainly for the wonderful storytelling and the interesting plot. This part of the story ended on a high cliff-hanger. I was shocked by how abrupt it had ended and most of the issues had just appeared and were nowhere near fixed, or at least it didn't look that way.

I would have given this book 5 stars if not for one decent chunk of this book. That was what was done to Sammy Bushey.  I just felt very uncomfortable reading this part.  I understand that this story was written before the large movement of having trigger warnings and things like that, but it was a little too unnerving. I'm not saying he change the story (I'm about 8 years too late for that) but I am saying, if you're listening Mr. King, that the next time you happen to put a scene like this in one of your next stories, that you put a warning in the table of contents or the beginning of the chapter. Granted having a scene like that is also a little much in today's time, I can see how they work with stories and villainous characters.  I am going to put which section and number that I found this in since my edition might have different page numbers. I will also be putting here the spots in the second book where I found them.

-The first one is in section: Nyuck-Nyuck-Nyuck and number 10.
-The second one (which is multiple parts) is in section: In The Frame and numbers 4 and 5.
-There are other small paragraphs later in the novel after the victim is brought to the hospital where nurses and police mention it, but I have not been able to find those pages in the book again. I really need to start marking the pages while I'm reading so that I can put them down here for you all.
-Section Salt, chapter ten
-Section Salt, chapter 16
-Section Ashes, chapter 3 (a nurse refers to Sam as a r*pe victim)
-Section Ashes, chapter 7 (double murder of two of the abusers and suicide of Sammy)
-Section Ashes, chapter 13 (Denton's comment on Sammy)
-Section Ants, end of chapter 13 (Carter's comment to Rennie about Sammy and the assault)

Part 2

So I took a little detour between reading part 1 and 2 as can be seen from my Goodreads.  I watched the Twilight Saga with my roommate and just had to read Life and Death.  But you can find that review on this blog. I thought this was a nice ending to the two-part story.

I thought the action was fast-paced and nicely portrayed. The creation of the villain of Rennie Sr. was very well written, it was an instant knowledge, but the slow reveal of just how devastating he could be to the town was a nice way to keep the tension going in the story.  I also liked the changes in many of the characters and their personalities.

I also liked how King still started out the book with a list of some of the major characters who were trapped on Dome Day, even though most of them were dead or close to death.

I thought it was a nice insert to have Piper Libby to be a good priest, while also not fully believing in the God she preaches to. I thought it was a great way to show that sometimes you can fall out of something that you were so set on. I also made a note of a quote she made later on in the book "Pray to the God of your understanding." I found this really heartwarming because Libby knows that she can't force religion on someone if they already have their own. And why would she push something she no longer believes onto those who don't believe?

I really liked the comment that goes "You help me, I help you. Ginny and Gina, the Fighting Females." that was then followed by a fist bump. I was so happy to see that two women could stick together, no matter the reasoning.

I was really proud of Angela for kicking her addiction cold turkey so that she could better help the town in their time of need. I wish that she had gotten a better ending and more time in the books. She had a kind heart and good intentions.

Another character I wish was treated better is the Carolyn. She was a wonderful Dome-mom to the two kids and she really did love (or at least like a lot) Thurston. The way she felt about the kids made me believe more in raising children later on in my life.

"Skateboarders, they are a different breed." -Ernie (same man, same)

I thought I would like the character of Carter, I thought he would turn out good for everyone, but he didn't. I was very let down.

Also, I want to know more about what happens between Ames and Dismore after the Dome came up. That was a sudden relationship (friends or more I wonder) that I just want to know. I want it to be something big and meaningful. @ Mr. King, let me know if you've written anything about that. AmesxDismore

The last page, with Horace running to Julia and the last paragraph was a great ending. There was no further investigation into the Dome, and it just ended with the Dome lifting and them walking to their rescue and away from the Death Town that was once Chester's Mill.

I was not pleased with the second rape in this story. I thought it would just be left to Sammy's, which for me is even too much. I still understand the purpose of having it, but just to a point. The extent in which Sammy was hurt I felt didn't need to be there. And Carter's abuse of Linda in her home, I just felt there was no need or place for that. The fear of him could have been created by a different action, maybe just physical abuse, like a punch to the gut or something. I will be labeling the three section's where Linda's assault takes place. If you would like to know the details of the assault or the passages prior to reading you may email me.

-Section Ants, chapters 18-19
-Section Halloween Comes Early, end of chapter 1 (a comment she makes in her head)
-Section Halloween Comes Early, chapter 6 (Carter's comment on Linda's pants)

My rating: I have given it a four star rating. This is only because of the second sexual abuse and the *trigger warning/suicide* suicide of Sammy in the hospital. I felt like I would have liked her to stay with Little Walter longer, and not kill herself, however, I liked how she took out two of her abusers before she went. That was the only nice touch. If those two factors were not in the book, I would have given it five stars.

From what I remember the TV series didn't have the sexual assault, but I could be wrong and it comes later after I stopped watching. I'm going to give the show another go if I can find a place to stream it online.

Have you read these books? Did you watch the show? What did you think? Let's talk in the comments!

À bientôt!

Photo/Gif creds: book jacket, my selfie with the books and my photo of the covers together

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...