Saturday, October 22, 2016

Review: Franco-American Life & Culture in Manchester, New Hampshire: Vivre La Difference

Franco-American Life & Culture in Manchester, New Hampshire: Vivre La Difference Franco-American Life & Culture in Manchester, New Hampshire: Vivre La Difference by Robert B. Perreault
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Well if I wasn't interested in my Franco heritage...I sure am now.

This book, though it had nothing to do with me, opened up my eyes and mind to a world, that is not so far gone. Many of the events and persons mentioned in this book happened from the 1700s to the 1980s. I know that I have a Franco side from my Paternal grandparents, and I know what to know more. I want to go to that ACA/Lambert/Franco-Collection Library and try to track my ancestors back to when we started on this Earth.

Also, having lived in Manchester (mainly the West Side) I was able to picture all the streets he talked about. I have lived on both the East and West sides, I went to Manchester High School West (which the author's son is mentioned having attended). This, I feel, connects me deeper to the story than I thought it would have. The photo on the front cover, I know that street, I recognize those buildings. Granted the bridge is not the same, but I've been there it seems. I've walked and drove across that bridge that separates the East and West sides of Manchester. I know personally most areas in the photo from Rock Rimmon on the right, to the original St. Mary's Bank on the left.

This book has brought out a side of me that I didn't know was in me. A side that wants to further my French heritage as I never have. Who wants to learn all I can about my ancestors and their journeys here and elsewhere. And I think I'll start that journey today.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barkskins by Annie Proulx

So this book was given to me by my French advisor as a gift before my graduation, and I was so excited to start it that I added it to my T...